Kickin’Back: Design for Leisure
Guest Curator: Hilary Jay, Executive Director of DesignPhiladelphia
The Philadelphia Art Alliance is seeking entries for our Spring 2011 design competition, Kickin’ Back!
Kickin’ Back is a juried competition that invites designers and architects from the Mid-Atlantic region to reflect on the concept of leisure and submit objects, renderings or prototypes that either complement or comment upon what constitutes contemporary states of rest or play. From public spaces such as retail environments and parks, to objects that provide comfort or promote interaction in private environments, you are asked for work that provokes questions about what surrounds us in our daily lives and elaborates on how design impacts our downtime.
From such objects as hammocks, bedding or garments, to toys, sports equipment or even human-powered vehicles, designers are encouraged to submit works that reflect ways in which objects can enhance and encourage leisure activity.
The plan: In December 2010, designers will be selected for curation. Selected projects will be exhibited in the Philadelphia Art Alliance galleries with a public opening on January 27, 2011.
Award-winning journalist, curator, and entrepreneur Hilary Jay is executive director of DesignPhiladelphia, the largest national cultural initiative of its kind founded in 2005. The celebration showcases more than 500 designers working in the Greater Philadelphia region through exhibitions, lectures, runway shows, open studios and symposia. From 2000 to 2009, Jay was director of The Design Center at Philadelphia University, where she created exhibitions and programs championing multiple design disciplines. Prior to founding the Design Center, Jay was a journalist, writing on design topics for both local and national publications. In the 1980s, Jay co-founded Maximal Art, an international costume jewelry and watch company. Her jewelry is in the permanent collection of the Victoria & Albert Museum, London, and the Musee des Arts Decoratifs, Paris.
What to Submit:
- A CD of up to five images. Please use a resolution of 300 dpi or greater and label each file with a number. Do not exceed 10MB per file. Please include an image description sheet with corresponding numbers.
- Current resume(s) or information on your practice, including the name, address, telephone number and email of the contact person.
- The written proposal should include a general statement about your submission as a reflection of the theme of design for leisure. This statement should be no more than 250 typewritten words.
- If you would like your materials returned, please provide a self-addressed stamped envelope large enough to return submitted materials and containing the correct amount of postage.
- An application fee of $10.
When and Where to Submit Materials:
Materials must be received at the Philadelphia Art Alliance office by 5 p.m. on December 10th. Hand deliveries will be accepted. Artists will be notified after December 22nd.
Please mail or deliver application materials to:
Philadelphia Art Alliance
Kickin’ Back Submission
251 South 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Contact Melissa Caldwell , Director of Exhibitions:
215 545 4302 or firstname.lastname@example.org